Tuesday 26 February 2013

The race for your best chilli, or money

With the last post I made about the hottest chilli or not, I seem to have hit somewhat of a sore spot.
I am getting mails and personal messages from all over the world.
As it seems a lot of people are keen to know how and what.
Most of all though, they want to know if they are fooled.
And as of yet, I can not tell.

Sure, I have been digging in to papers, research articles, the whole bit.
But I am not done digging, at all, and still reading through heaps of data and rumours.

One paper however, from Hort Technology, writing the article about the research done by Chile Pepper Institute in New Mexico USA has been presented to me to prove the ‘Trinidad Moruga Scorpion’ is hotter than the Butch T.
However it only proves the ‘Trinidad Moruga Scorpion’ can be considered the world’s hottest known measured chile pepper. Now you don't want one out of 36 being very hot and the rest rather lame, do you? If I want to have a great tasting chilli that is superhot, I want it to be hot overall, and not Russian Roulette. For a sauce I want chillies to be not up and down the chart. A difference in SHU from the lowest to the hottest fruit of well over 100 % is dramatic if you want your sauce to be consistently the same.

Now there is a huge difference between being the hottest measured, and the hottest. From the record breaking Butch T only the average heat or `mean level` is known, not how hot the hottest was.
So, is the ‘Trinidad Moruga Scorpion’ the hottest World Guiness Book of Records chilli?
Well that remains to be seen, as I am still searching for proof indicating it is.

For the Carolina Reaper an other upcoming record breaking hot chilli, I am expecting to see data anytime. Ed Currie has promised to send me data and research to show his creation will be the next hottest World Guiness Book of Records chilli to be yet hotter as both the Butch T and the ‘Trinidad Moruga Scorpion’

Yours sincerely,

Bart J. Meijer

No comments:

Post a Comment